Thursday, February 4, 2010

Scott Brown sworn in today ...

Viva La Revolucion !

Scott Brown's Remarks Following His Swearing-In

It's a great honor to stand before you as the new United States Senator from Massachusetts.

I want to express my gratitude and appreciation to many people, starting with my wife Gail, to Vice President Biden, to Senators Kerry and Kirk, to Leader McConnell, and to so many other people who have been generous with their time and their advice.

I especially want to thank the people of Massachusetts who sent me here. I can't promise I'll be right in every vote I make. I'm sure I'll make mistakes from time to time. But I will try to give them my level best every day.

My daughters Ayla and Arianna could not be here, but I felt their presence. The bibles I used for today's swearing-in belong to my daughters, and I stacked them one on top of the other and took my oath on them. So they were both with me in spirit.

People have asked me why I wanted to get sworn-in so quickly after the results had been certified. It's because I want to get to work.

There are a lot of votes pending that I would like to participate in.

Even more importantly, these are urgent times for our nation. The President this week submitted a $3.8 trillion budget. We'll have to borrow 40% of that amount because we don't have the money to pay for all that spending. I'm concerned we're living beyond our means. Also this week, the CIA director said there will be another al-Qaeda attack in the US in the next 3 to 6 months. This is frightening news, and we owe the people of America everything we can do to deter and prevent future attacks on our nation.

So I'm glad to be fully able to participate in the affairs our nation at this critical time.I also want to extend my appreciation to all of you in the press. I see many familiar faces here and I want you to know how much I respect the work you do, and the patience and many kindnesses you have shown my family.

With that, I'll take a few questions

No comments:

Post a Comment